Thursday, April 13, 2017

What the!?

I don't usually just rant (on my blog), but this is too much!  What the heck?  I'm sitting at the salon getting my hair cut, when my stylist and good friend asks if I have heard anything about this United Airlines scandal.  I hadn't, because I was listening to an audio book on the way to my appointment (a book about WW2 Germany).  She gives me the second hand information she had which was interesting enough to warrant googling it from my chair.  We read just one article and are both so shocked we don't know what to think.

Now, two days later, it just keeps getting creepier.  I don't care who you are, how do you justify dragging a paying customer off of a plane just because you need to get one of your employees to another airport?  Then you try covering your ass by publicly embarrassing this customer with his 10 year old criminal history.  First, did you choose this guy because he had a criminal history?  Or was it because he was born outside the U.S.?  How did you come up with his criminal history so quickly and conveniently for yourself?  And why on the flip side does the media keep pointing out that he's a doctor?  So what?  What if he was a baseball coach, or a stay at home mom, or a McDonald's customer service rep?  Who in the world do you think you are, and why do you think that makes your incredibly terrible "customer service" justified? 

Customer service, what does that even mean?  It used to mean that someone was a customer.  They probably were interested in the goods or services you were providing.  They gave you money, and you provided something, likely something positive not a trip to the nearest hospital.  Service implies that you were serving them.  Serving, like putting them before you.  Like setting aside your comfort or bottom line to make their experience more enjoyable, so that they might want to interact with you again.  Well done United!  I don't want my two kids in Mississippi calling you for a ride home, EVER!  Apparently our society has decided that self service is the way to go.  I suggest we start re-thinking our self defense.  This is just a very real example of our society's ideas about who merits consideration and what motivates our willingness to treat people in any kind of dignified, human manner.

I cannot wrap my mind around this situation.  My heart is broken for this man and his family.  But there are so many things this year that I can't wrap my mind around that I am very thankful God is still in Heaven and I am not running this show.  I will not put my trust in man, or woman, or anyone else.  I will treat those around me like they are human, because they are.  I have to ask myself what would I have done if I were in the seat next to this unfortunate man.  I pray that I would have intervened.  What would I have done if I were the stewardess?  I find myself more and more asking myself what is my part?  Who am I called to stand up for and stand up to?  God give me the wisdom and grace not to become dehumanized by this culture of individual rights and basic lack of kindness.  Let me not become so cynical that I no longer bring glory to my savior.  I put my hope in God, for He alone can bring grace to me and through me.  I pray that my brothers and sisters in Christ will be strong and courageous in the days ahead and will be willing to stand up for those who can't.

No comments: