Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Coleslaw

I have never been a big coleslaw fan, until I ran across this recipe in one of my all time favorite cookbooks. The cookbook is Sacramental Magic in a Small-Town Cafe, written by Br. Peter Reinhart. I first heard about it on Mars Hill Audio, back in my bread baking days. It has my favorite barbecue sauce recipe, and my favorite salsa recipe. It is also just a fun read.

Andrea asked me for the coleslaw recipe, so I thought I may as well post it. It goes really well with barbecued pork, or anything else you might have just thrown on the grill. It is simple, and really, really tasty.

~Coleslaw

serves 6

1 large head of cabbage
1/2 cup finely diced onion (yellow, white or red)
1 1/2 cups good mayonnaise (Hellmann's, Best Foods, or homemade)
1/4 cup apple cidar vinegar
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon coarsely ground fresh black pepper

Grate or shred the cabbage as thinly as possible. In a bowl combine it with the diced onion and all the other ingredients. Allow it to sit at least one hour before serving. It will keep in the refrigerator up to one week.

3 comments:

Noel said...

Sounds great, but leave out the sugar, please :-)

Andrea Hill said...

Oh Signe, I love you so much. Thanks for giving out the coleslaw recipe. I will make it for Father's Day and surprise Kevin.

Thankfulmom said...

Hey thanks. Sounds yummy, and not quite so labor intensive as the Asian Noodle Salad from Saturday night. That is one great salad as well.

Lisa