Thursday, September 16, 2010

More Rules?

One of my daughters asked me why we don't have more rules.  Huh?  I asked what she meant, and she pointed out that many of her peers had rules about when they could get their ears pierced, or wear make-up, or see a certain movie, or the list goes on.  She pointed out that I usually give them some answer like, "when you're ready."  I had to think about that for a while.

I think part of my reason is that I don't like rules.  They never seem to cover the contingencies that I end up facing.  Sure I want to know exactly how long the skirt has to be to be long enough, but truly it does depend.  It seems way too easy to just make a rule.  There it is, the line in the sand.  But there is always some point at which it becomes unreasonable, then what do you do?  If you throw it out, it just opens the gates for all kinds of difficult situations.  If you stick to it, everyone sees how ridiculous it is.  If I tell my kids that they cannot have friends over after school on school nights, what do I do when one of my friends needs me to watch their children, who are my children's friends, on a school night?  Does that count?  Am I breaking the rule?  Who made this rule anyway?

Too many rules just give me too many opportunities to trip myself up.  I like guidelines, principles if you will.  Is the dress too short?  Well, are you loving your neighbor by wearing it, or are you bringing glory to yourself?  Can I get my ears pierced?  Can you remember to clean them three times a day?  Usually the principles are not about the person wanting the rule, but about the people that they live with.  The most common reply I give is, "Are you loving your neighbor?"  If you aren't sure, ask one of them.  This also gives me much more opportunity for discussion.  My biggest goal as a mom is to have kids that feel like they can talk to me.  If all I have to give them are tidy rules, there is little need to talk through situations.  If they come to me wanting to make a change in lifestyle, I want to talk to them about why before we get to how.

I have a couple of children that would just thrive on rule books.  Give them a list and they are going to plow right through it with flying colors.  Will they be gracious in it, that is hard to tell.  They sometimes get frustrated with my seemingly vague answers, but they come back with more questions.  "How long do I have to practice?"  "Until you get it right."  "How long will that take?"  "It depends on how well you understand it."  "What if I get it right the first time?"  "Do it once more to make sure it wasn't a fluke."

Ultimately I know that the only perfect rule follower was Jesus.  He fulfilled every jot and tittle of the law, and fulfilled the Spirit as well.  God gave us 10 rules.  That was it, and we failed.  If I can't keep those 10, why would adding 200 more help?  Love your neighbor.  Be kind.  Put your sister ahead of yourself.  Put your team mate ahead of yourself.  Be thankful in all things.  Keep those rules, and we won't have to worry about what radio station we are listening to or how much eye liner is too much.  All of those little things don't matter in the grand scheme of things.  If my kids can ask me why they can or can't do something, the last thing I want to give them is a rule.  I want to give them something to think about, with a big dose of love.

3 comments:

Angie Washington said...

You are such a thinker - I love that about you!

Currently printing this out to use as a family devo. Really good thoughts here!

Carrie said...

I LOVE this! It makes so much more sense to me than lots of rules. I'm going to stash this in my "parenting tool belt." Thanks, Signe!

Laurel said...

Amen! Love this post! Right there with you.

When my eldest daughter was 17, we went out to dinner, and the Lord gave me a really cool question to ask her:

"If you moved out tomorrow, what would you do differently that you can't do while you are living at home?" My thought was, that I didn't want to have my child turn 18 and think, "I can hardly wait to get out of here." as so many teens do.

She had 3 things ...

She would die her hair. My response ... go ahead. I have no problem with that, as long as it's your money. (Since I didn't die my hair, she assumed that I had a rule against it.)

She would wear less conservative clothing. My response ... well, yes, Papa does have rules about that. But, let's think about why he has those rules. She finally determined that she would probably go out and buy less conservative clothes and then realize that she wasn't comfortable wearing them.

She would watch an R rated movie or two. That is a rule at our house ... even Papa and I don't watch R rated movies (with only 2 exceptions in the past 30 years). I explained that while movies that contained s*xual matters might not bother her, she would probably be watching these movies with her brothers and that wouldn't be a good thing. She understood.

So, our conversation ended with her realizing that she probably wouldn't change anything ... and she made an appt. to get her hair dyed.

Keep talking to your kids ... and keep listening to them. That is definitely much more important than a list of rules.

As the mama of 6 young adult children (and 6 youngers at home), I can tell you that you can have amazing relationships with your teens and young adults, when they know that you respect them.

Be BLESSED!

Laurel :)