Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Motivational Issues in my Heart

I am reading a lot about anger lately.  Trying to figure out my own, and how to help others deal with theirs.  This sentence jumped out at me: "People motivated by desire for God's glory, for personal conformity to Jesus' model and will, and for the well-being of others will be angry in one way."  The question to ask myself in those heated moments is "What do I really want?"

Honestly, how often is the answer to that question, "I want to glorify God in this moment?"  Even more honestly, I don't answer that way, because I'm not ready for the humility needed to glorify God in the middle of my selfish fit.  Getting my little self to fade into life in Christ is going to be my life struggle.  My head gets it, but the rest of me is very slow to follow.  I do want to glorify God.  I sort of want to be like Christ, except that I want to wear cute clothes and have a comfy bed and coffee.  Yep, those cute little idols just keep creeping into my picture.  If I don't get moving in the right direction here, then I can't really help my kids in this area. 

I'm working on it.  Really.

No comments: