Thursday, March 9, 2017

Some call it Spring Break, Some call it a Snow Day


Call it whatever you want, it means I have a house full of kids and 5 inches of wet, heavy white stuff all around me.  I was determined to carry on with my day, but it all fell apart as I was running in to shower after the gym and before Bible study.  Too many people with too many questions and I already am prone to forget what I am doing if I am not repeating it to myself constantly.  So instead I threw on some shorts, drove over to Morgan's house and took pictures of us sitting in the snow.  Why?  Sometimes you just have to keep a sense of humor and roll with it.  I am confident that someday spring will in fact arrive and these cold, wet, unpredictable days will become unpredictable for entirely new reasons.

It is early afternoon and I have gone from quiet, dark, coffee in hand, Bible on my lap, to spinning in the cold, dark, music filled room, to a living room full of teens cutting out pictures of vegetable and googling "what is a legume?" while others sat by knitting clothes for a school project.  It's a strange and wonderful world that I live in.  Then I get intermittent texts from friends such as:
  And my children's friends dropping by with Mochas, just because.  God brings blessing in strange and mysterious ways, and I am very thankful.

This is not really what I pictured my life looking like when I was 20 something and idealistic.  I can't imagine what my 60 something life will look like.  This 40 something gig is always on the brink of disaster, and certainly never boring.  So far my kids are doing really great things.  Madie will graduate from college in May!  How did that happen?  Not only graduate, but graduate with honors.  I was just happy to get to wear a cap and gown, but she is hitting it out of the park.  Unfortunately I won't be there to witness this incredible event.  Too many people here need supervision, especially in mid-May, not to mention bad financial planning means $600 tickets are not an option.  The grandparents will be there to fill in and cheer and take pictures and glow in her presence.  Maybe by the time Brook graduates next year I will be able to get away.  I so clearly remember thinking what if they never get potty trained, or learn to read?  They did!  It is awesome!  Even Soren who struggles reading out loud, asked for Temple Grandin's new book for his birthday.  Mind Blown!

My kids may still compare me to Malcom in the Middle's mom, but I know they mean it as a compliment.  If they don't I will ignore the implications.  I love each and every one of them.  They are amazing people because they have an amazing savior.  Their mom is questionable, but doing the best she can.  I'm hoping I'll be an awesome grandma someday, someday way far away from now.  I'll keep working on chasing after God, loving my kiddos and rolling with the day God gives me.  Clearly Bible study went well without me, our 4H meeting will be great because Karsten loves it, and we have awesome leaders, the snow will just keep coming and we will do our best to make the most of whatever comes.  This isn't the life I imagined, and it is so much better!

I am thankful for:
1.  Morgan's photography skills and lack of other things to do.
2.  Snow days, even in March.
3.  Grant's mocha making skills and free time.
4.  Karsten's full life spilling over everything in my house.
5.  The incredible lack of major car accidents in our lives, especially with four teen drivers.
6.  Exercise which truly keeps me sane, is that an addiction?
7.  The Word of God which also keeps me sane, and is ok if it is an addiction.
8. 4H, which keeps my kids busy and active in their communities.
9. Spring break, to remind me how great all the other breaks are.
10.  Swimming which keeps Helen sane.
11. Great books for all seasons.
12.  KG, who never ceases to make me smile.  Every.single.day.
13.  Rick who manages to live with us all, and keep us from going bankrupt in so many ways.
14.  Laughter

No comments: