Friday, August 18, 2017

Focus

I need to give myself a little beginning of the year pep-talk.  I know most people start their year in January, but for all intents and purposes mine starts the end of August.  My schedule starts to fill with regular events from mid-August to May.  Summer has a different series of scheduled events.  It's all very academic oriented, with kids in school and living in a college town.

I need to remember that just because I have as many kids out of high school as I do still needing primary education, I am a long ways from being free from helping them with school.  My twelve year olds are going to need some serious supervision and encouragment this year.  As much as I would like to start focusing some energy outside of my immediate family, I need to keep that minimal this year.  Mads is going to need some moral support and encouragment as she works through post-college life.  My college students at home will need to have someone to talk to.  My middle schooler needs help with math, which I am still qualified to give.  I need to make sure they are doing what they say they are going to do, because they are awesome at distracting me and getting away with more freedom than I had intended.  They are all great kids, and they still need to me to have my head in the game.

I also need to prioritize my self care regimen.  I need to sweat at least four days a week.  I won't sweat as much as I should without other people pushing me, bottom line: get your butt to the gym whether you think you have time or not!  I need to commit to a Bible study.  It looks like this is going to be the fall of Ephesians, so make a plan and stick to it.  Make space for healthy friends, the gym is part of that, you also need people to call you on your crap.  Don't avoid those people!  You need to read, schedule that time, and keep a book in your purse.  Date night is important, both for your marriage and for your kids no matter what they do to distract you.  Of course Sunday morning is a time to worship and rest, don't let it slip away from you.

Be thankful for this season of life.  You are still healthy and reasonably sane.  The people in your home will not be there forever.  Enjoy time with them, and get them off their screens as much as you can.  Remember they need to work hard, but they won't realize the blessing in that for a few more years (like 15).  Celebrate the good things, and lavish them with praise, no matter how hard it is for you to sound sincere.  Smile more!  This is good work.  Pushing teens through the lazy phase and out to the adult phase is brutal for all of us much of the time, but the result is some amazing people.  Call Mads and BK regularly to remind yourself of where these people are heading.  Remember all the stupid crap you did when you were their age, you don't deserve to have it this good.  When you really think you are crappy parent, call your parents, they will remind you that you have it coming, and this too shall pass.

You will have lots of time and lots of people to minister too for the rest of your life.  These yahoos will only be around for 6 or so more years.  Invest in the people in your home, they will bring you others to minister to.  Walk with God and ask for His perspective.  Don't worry about what the haters are saying, they don't know you well enough to criticize.  When your friends bring you up short, listen, pray and make the change.  Breathe deep and love even when you want to punch them in the face.  With any luck, Dr. Rice will be right and you will have a long and low energy life.  Don't waste all your energy today trying to do things God didn't call you to.  Focus on the main things, and the rest will take care of itself.  Sleep, read, pray, exercise, eat, work, repeat.

No comments: