Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Curry


 I seem to have lost my curry recipes.  If anyone has my San Juan Classics cookbook, there is a lamb curry in there that I used as my base.  Here is what I would do if I made curry tonight:

Ingredients:

Meat: chicken cut into bite sized pieces, leftover turkey, shrimp, lamb stew meat, pork would probably work too, chops cut into bite sized pieces, or a pork shoulder roast chunked up.

Onions: diced

Garlic: minced

Ginger: fresh grated a couple of Tablespoons.  I buy a root and store it in the freezer

Curry paste or curry powder.  I get mine from Penzey's.  They have a great sweet curry powder.  You can also blend coriander, turmeric, cumin, brown sugar, cardemom, but when you are starting out that's a lot of spices to track down.  Just find a paste or powder you like.

Coconut milk, or cream or whatever you have on hand.

You can add apples cut into small chunks or potatoes if you want.

Tomato paste: I buy the tubes, it makes more sense than opening a can and only using a Tablespoon.  Ketchup can also be used if nothing else is available.

Garnishes: Cilantro chopped, peanuts chopped, coconut, raisins.  Serve over rice or quinoa

Depending. on which meat you are using I would put some oil (coconut, olive, canola if you must) in the bottom of a large frying pan or Dutch oven.  Cook the meat until it's no longer pink.  Remove from pan.  Add onion, garlic and spices.  If using apples or potatoes add them here. Cook for a few minutes.  Add coconut milk, if you are using cream you might want to thin it with a bit of chicken broth.  Add tomato paste.  Put the meat back in the pan.  If you need to add more liquid do, if you are happy with the consistency just cover and let simmer for 15 minutes or so.  Feel free to experiment.

No comments: