Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Stroganoff

 Eden asked me for some recipes.  I have not discovered a great way to share recipes with my kids.  I will attempt to put some up here.  I am taking the recipes that I have used in the past, and will write what I actually do when I make them.  Most recipes were written for families of four.  We had a family of 11, and usually had extras.  I don't measure.  I take a lot of liberties with most recipes.  I don't bake very often, probably because baking requires more precision than I typically can muster.

Ingredients:

Meat: can be hamburger, stew meat, round steak cut into bite sized chunks, beef roast cut into bite sized chunks, venison cut into bite sized chunks, whatever you have on hand.  It doesn't have to be a nice tender cut, this will cook for a while so it's ok if it's tough.  If you are in a hurry just use burger.

Flour: a cup or so, seasoned salt (Unicorn salt is great, but Lawry's or whatever your favorite is is fine), paprika, salt and pepper, garlic salt.  I dump all this in a plastic bag with the meat and shake it up until it's all coated.  Like I said, I don't measure spices so maybe a couple of teaspoons or so of each.  Start light you can always add, but it's hard to subtract.

Onions: sliced thin, as much as you like

Mushrooms, sliced. I prefer fresh, but canned are fine in a pinch.

Sour cream

Beef broth

I use a crock pot usually, but a Dutch oven works great.  If you are using the crock pot, first brown the meat in a frying pan.  Drizzle olive oil in the pan and get it good and warm. Shake the meat out of the plastic bag with the flour and spices into the pan.  Let it brown on all sides.  Dump that into the crock pot.  Put the sliced onions and mushrooms on top of the meat.  Pour some beef broth over the whole thing enough to cover the meat. Throw in a bay leaf if you have one. Let cook for at least 4 hours on high.  In the last 30 minutes add the sour cream, at least a cup, more if you like it creamy.  Stir.  While it's warming up make egg noodles or rice.  I sprinkle a little more paprika over the whole thing at the end.  Serve over rice or noodles.

If you use the Dutch oven, you can just saute the meat and onion in the Dutch oven and then add everything except the sour cream.  Put in the oven at 350 for at least an hour, but longer is fine.  Add the sour cream at the end, like last 15 minutes, while you make the noodles or rice.  You get the idea.


Serve with veggies on the side.  I love roasted asparagus or brussel sprouts.

No comments: