Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Just Today

My plan for today:

6:30 gym
8:00 drive kids to school, dentist appointment
10:00 Henry
3:00 pick kids up from school
4:30 drop kids at swimming and feed steers
5:00 friend's wedding

Actual day (so far):

6:00 text from school district stating all schools closed, except for Logos. University closed.
7:00 start chipping ice off driveway and cars, call dentist to cancel appointment
9:30 drive kids to Logos
10:00 Henry
12:30 Drive a friend to Win Co
2:30 friend's wedding
3:00 pick kids up at school

Actually I did pretty well all things considered.  For some reason my brain feels a little scrambled.  I think writing all it down helps a lot.  When it is a constant series of text messages and schedule changes it just feels very wonky.

I am definitely getting cabin fever and on the days I miss the gym it gets exponentially worse.  I need  to sweat for 45 minutes like a four year old needs a nap.  Last night I didn't eat wisely, which meant I didn't sleep well, which meant at 5:45 I was not feeling like getting up and going to the gym.  Little did I know at the time that there was a skating rink covering every surface outside of my house for about 100 miles in any direction.  I briefly considered walking to the dentist which is less than a half mile from my house, but after sliding out to my son's car I changed my mind.  The hill that we live on felt like a ski jump this morning.  Add to that all of us home having forced family schedule changes makes harmonious living a stretch.  I did make cookies!

The joy of not being in control!  Sometimes I actually love the random variety of life.  Sometimes I just want to crawl back into bed until spring, just call it a season.  Sometimes I wonder why I try to plan anything at all.  I could just totally go with the flow man.  I try to keep my anchors.  Coffee and Bible at 5:45.  Gym before 10 am.  Dinner by 6.  In my room, winding down by 10.  Most of the time those things keep me from completely losing it, that and praying all day long.  I have a lot of people in my life.  They all need me at random times for random reasons.  Relationship troubles, car troubles, illness, weather, happen to everyone and they aren't scheduled.  The more people you are in relationship with, the more these little things pile on.  It keeps life from getting boring.  It also teaches me to be patient with people, because I know they have the same things happening in their worlds.

I am thankful for:
Inclement weather days, and the wisdom of staying home.
Warm meals on cold days.
Lots of little people to take care of.
Friends who are willing to call when they need a hand, or a ride, or a book, or a hug.
Steers to feed.
Kids who sing all day, every day.
Online schools.
Coffee in the morning.
Warm winds to melt mounds of snow and ice.




No comments: