Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Resolutions 2018, or the beginning of Resolutions

Somehow the new year started without me getting all my goals made and resolutions considered.  This is pretty much the story of my life.  I'm just over here trying to keep up with the laundry and feed people.  Who has time to figure out if I am a better person than I was last year?

One thing I did learn last year, which may or may not have made me a better person, is that limiting myself makes me feel much better about life.  I think the key is that I limited myself.  I recognized that my sloppy lifestyle was making me miserable, and I knew exactly what I was doing, including not doing anything to change it.  Once I finally committed to getting off my butt and limiting what I was eating I did make forward progress.  The five pounds I gained over Christmas is mocking me at the moment.  Yes, I have weeks where I realize that I am making excuses not to exercise (but it really was pouring and I hadn't brought my running shoes).  I also recognize quickly that I feel awful and I need to get back into my routine pronto!  This year I need to apply this life lesson into other areas of my life.  I  am planning to hit the finances with my diet and exercise program.  I guess I better figure out how to bring in some income, like soon.

Let's be honest, the hitch with this scheme in finances is that making money is not as easy as exercise.  At least not for me.  I do believe that God has gifted some with the ability to make money and some with the ability to lose money.  Choosing to have nine children should give you a hint as to which one I am.  They are not a great financial investment, at least not yet.  They also take a lot of my available hours, and they never pay me.  Am I just making excuses?  I am willing to accept that I may be seeing this all wrong and I need to suck it up and get to work.  They also manage to play havoc with my plans to not spend more than Rick makes.  They are really good at getting a yes out of one of us.  They also manage to have emergencies that they need Mom and Dad to get them out of.  I remember being 20 something, so I feel compassion where I may or may not need to.  And here I go with the blame game.  I think my New Years Resolution should be to find a really good counselor, who is covered by my insurance, and work on some of the issues I have identified on Jan. 3, 2018 in less than three paragraphs of writing.  Feel free to suggest books, I resolve to read more every year.

I am also resolving to be more thankful and less critical.  Stop laughing, it could happen.  Here is the start of year long list:
1.  Music, all kinds.
2.  Music players, so that those of us with no musical talent can enjoy other's talents all the time.
3.  Keely, we have already been to the gym twice this year!  Go us!
4.  Bible reading plans, I need the list.
5.  Road trips, always inconvenient but much needed.
6.  Family pictures, I got everyone again this Christmas.
7.  My grandparents who were much better with finances than I am.  Thanks for that.
8.  Steers, they make Soren happy and get me out of my comfortable space to enjoy nature.
9.  My Subaru Outback and it's seat warmers.
10.  Writing, putting words on paper so that ideas can be looked at.


No comments: